Burn injuries from transurethral microwave therapy
A 63-year-old man developed incontinence and an enlarged prostate. He consulted his urologist, who suggested transurethral microwave therapy to shrink the prostate.
During the procedure, the urologist placed the device and then left the room. The technician took over and continued the therapy. When the patient experienced excessive pain, an ice pack was placed but the therapy continued. The patient developed a fistula and required a colostomy. He became permanently incontinent and had permanent erectile dysfunction. He was unable to return to his job.
The man sued those involved with the therapy and claimed the rectal thermometer used to monitor the prostate was misplaced and that a hole was burned through the rectum and urethra. He also claimed no one responded to his excessive pain, and that the urologist failed to adequately monitor the procedure.
After an initial defense verdict was reversed on appeal, a second jury found in favor of the patient and awarded $3.9 million.
More on Malpractice:
Subscribe to Urology Times to get monthly news from the leading news source for urologists.