The 2013 Arthur D. Smith Endourology Lectureship has been awarded to Thomas Knoll, MD, of University Medical Center Mannheim and the Sindelfingen Medical Center of the University of Tuebingen, Germany.
Dr. Knoll was presented the award, commonly known as the Arthur award, at the recently concluded World Congress of Endourology in New Orleans. Dr. Knoll was recognized for his extensive scientific and clinical work on the interventional treatment of urolithiasis and BPH.
The World Congress of Endourology’s award committee presents the Arthur award, sponsored by Cook Medical, each year in honor of the lifetime achievements of world-renowned urologist Arthur D. Smith, MD, of the North Shore-LIJ Health System, Long Island, NY.
Several other urologists are also recent recipients of awards and appointments:
- Mickey Karram, MD, received the National Association For Continence Rodney Appell Continence Care Champion award at the American Urogynecologic Society’s annual meeting in Las Vegas. Dr. Karram is director of urogynecology and reconstructive surgery at The Christ Hospital and medical director of The Christ Hospital Pelvic Floor Center, Cincinnati. The award was sponsored by Allergan.
- Ralph de Vere White, MB, has received the Huggins Medal Award from the Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO). Formal presentation of the medal will take place at the SUO’s annual winter meeting held Dec. 4-6, 2013 in Bethesda, MD. De Vere White, who is associate dean for cancer programs at the University of California Davis School of Medicine, director of the UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center, and a distinguished professor of urology, will give the Huggins lecture preceding the award presentation.
- Dan Theodorescu, MD, PhD, is one of three newly elected members of the Association of American Cancer Institutes Board of Directors. Dr. Theodorescu is the Paul Bunn Professor and director of the University of Colorado Cancer Center, Aurora. His 3-year term began last month.
- Shlomo Raz, MD, has been honored by the Confederation Americano de Urologia (CAU) by naming its highest accolade in his honor and bestowing the first medal on him. The Shlomo Raz Medal, a bronze medallion bearing his likeness, was awarded to Dr. Raz at the recent CAU congress in Lima, Peru. He is professor of urology and chief of the division of pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery at UCLA.
- Kevin P. O’Connor, MD, has been elected to the Virginia Board of Medicine. Dr. O’Connor is a member of the Urology Group in Leesburg and Reston, VA. His first term expires June 2016.
- Christopher Buchanan, MD, has joined USMD Affiliates Services. USMD Holdings is a physician-led integrated health care system in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. Dr. Buchanan brings the number of urologists affiliated with USMD to 49.
To get weekly news from the leading news source for urologists, subscribe to the Urology Times eNews.